Kaua‘i's Favorite Recipes
|2-1/4 cups||all-purpose flour|
|2 tsp||baking powder|
|1/4 tsp||baking soda|
|1 tsp||ground cinnamon|
|1/4 tsp||ground ginger|
|1/8 tsp||ground cloves|
|1/4 cup||packed light brown sugar|
|3 tbsp||granulated sugar|
|1 stick||unsalted butter, cold and diced into 1/2 inch pieces|
|1/2 cup + 1 tbsp||canned pumpkin puree, chilled -- do not chill in can|
|1 tsp||vanilla extract|
|1 tbsp||half and half|
|1 cup||powdered sugar|
|2 tbsp||half and half, add more if needed|
|3/4 cup||powdered sugar|
|1 tbsp||pumpkin puree|
|1/4 tsp||ground cinnamon|
|1/8 tsp||ground nutmeg|
|1/8 tsp||ground ginger|
|1 tbsp||half and half|
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- In a food processor, pulse together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, brown sugar and granulated sugar until well blended
- Add butter and pulse several times until the mixture is crumbly. You can also whisk the ingredients by hand and use a pastry blender to cut in the butter. You should not be able to see large pieces of butter. Pour mixture into a large bowl and create a well in the center.
- In a separate bowl, mix chilled pumpkin puree, buttermilk, egg, vanilla extract, and honey. Pour the mixture into the well of the flour/butter mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon to incorporate, then knead in the bowl by hand to bring the mixture together.
- Dust a work surface with flour and invert the dough onto the surface. Pat and shape the dough into an even 8 inch round. Using a large knife, slice the round into 8 equal wedges. Dust the knife with flour as needed while cutting.
- Place the scones on a silipat or parchment lined baking sheet. Brush the tops with half and half and bake in a preheated oven for 13 - 15 minutes or until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool for no longer than 10 minutes before spreading with glaze.
- Whisk together powdered sugar and half and half, adding more half and half as needed to reach the desired consistency. It should be fairly thick and not runny. Spread glaze evenly to coat the tops of the scones. Let the glaze set at room temperature
- Whisk powdered sugar, pumpkin puree, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and half and half. Pour mixture into a small Ziploc bag, seal the bag, cut a small tip from the corner. Drizzle the mixture over the tops of the scones. Allow icing to set.