Kaua‘i's Favorite Recipes
Maple Glazed Pumpkin Pie Cinnamon Rolls
|1 cup||warm water|
|½ cup||heavy cream (or half-and-half or milk)|
|4 ½ tsp||instant yeast|
|1 cup 2 tsp||sugar, divided|
|½ cup||buttermilk at room temperature|
|2 tsp||fine grain sea salt|
|2||large eggs, lightly whisked|
|1/3 cup||coconut oil (may use vegetable oil)|
|1/3 cup||melted butter|
|1 ¼ cup||pumpkin puree|
|9-10 cups||all purpose flour|
|1 ½ tsp||pumpkin pie spice|
|¾ cup||softened unsalted butter|
|2 cups 2 tbsp||packed brown sugar|
|½ cup||white sugar|
|5 tbsp||ground cinnamon|
|6 tbsp||butter, softened|
|2 ¼ cup||powdered sugar|
|3 tbsp||heavy cream|
|3 tsp||maple extract|
|1 tsp||vanilla extract|
- In a glass measuring cup, add the water and cream.
- Heat in the microwave until warm, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Make sure it’s warm and not hot.
- Add the yeast and 2 teaspoons of sugar. Allow to foam for 5-10 minutes.
- In another measuring cup, add the buttermilk and warm as well. Making sure it’s lukewarm, add it to the yeast mixture.
- In another measuring cup, add the remaining sugar, salt, oil, butter and eggs, whisking to combine.
- Add to the yeast mixture in a standing mixer along with the pumpkin puree.
- Stir with a dough hook to combine.
- Add the flour and seasonings over the top.
- Mix until the dough begins to form a ball then mix for 3 minutes, adding an additional ¼ cup flour if you were too light handed with the first measurement and it needs more.
- Remove the dough hook and place a towel over the bowl to rise for 1-2 hours in a warm spot.
- Very lightly flour the counter and roll the dough into a large, even rectangle.
- Spread the soft butter all the way to the edges.
- In a small bowl, mix the brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon and spices with the cornstarch. Sprinkle liberally over the butter, all the way to the edges.
- Roll into a tight log and using floss, slice the rolls by sliding it under the dough, bring it up and make an “x,” pull it tight to cut through and set in the lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Repeat until all of the rolls are in the pan and then drape with a towel to rise for 1-2 hours.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees and bake for 20-22 minutes, watching the tops because as soon as they are golden the rolls are done and you DO NOT want to over bake.
- Remove from oven. Cool for 2 minutes and top with glaze while hot.
- In a small bowl, beat together the butter, powdered sugar, cream and extracts.